AMAZING HOUSTON COMIC CON COSPLAY CONTEST
Hosted by Special FX Make-Up Artist, FACE/OFF’s Alana Rose
Sponsored by SPACE CADETS COLLECTION
The Amazing Houston Comic Con Cosplay Contest is our costume competition, showcasing costumes inspired by movies, comic books, TV, fantasy, animation, video games, and the imagination of their creators. It is free to participate or to be in the audience. This is a stage competition, where contestants can show off their costumes using skits or strut across the stage in character. Most contestants provide recorded music or prerecorded dialogue to enhance their entries. Some entries will be individuals and some will be groups with a shared theme. Impressive Amazing Houston Comic Con customized award medallions, as well as other additional company-sponsored prizes will be awarded in various categories.
When and Where:
Amazing Houston Comic Con Cosplay Contest begins at 7:00 pm, Saturday August 31st on the main theatre stage. The event is scheduled run One and half hours. After 4pm, if you have not checked in at the Cosplay Information desk located at GARAGE FX display on the main floor, your spot will be made available to other entries.
Pre-judging will start at 6:00pm in front of the theatre. You must present your costumes to the judges for pre judging to be considered for prizes.
How to enter:
Email the Amazing! Cosplay Contest Coordinator. All costumes need to be tasteful with no nudity, as we will have all ages in the audience. You will need to check in at the Information table at the GARAGE FX Booth at the convention before 4pm on Saturday, August 30th to hold your spot in the show.
A panel of guest judges will select winners in these categories: Best in Show, Judges Choice, Best Re-creation, Best Original Design, Best Workmanship, Most Humorous, Most Beautiful and Best Young Person Entry (Age 8 is the youngest we allow on stage. Please keep in mind there is a Kid’s Costume Parade on Sunday August 31st as well).
Company & Organization Awards:
Space Cadets Collection Collection: to the costume of their choice, $100 in booth credit.
Winners of the Convention prize categories will receive a quality medallion featuring the ORANGE DINOSAUR. There will be two medallions provided to group entries winning those categories.
More to be announced as we approach the Convention. You may also contact the Cosplay Coordinator if you wish to sponsor a prize. Sponsorship will get you priority seating in the front row with the judges, your company logo on the convention Amazing! Cosplay Competition webpage , and you will be announced and acknowledged at the Amazing! Cosplay Competiton event and will be allowed to present your award in front of the audience if you wish.
Amazing Houston Comic Con COSPLAY Contest
Rules of the Competition:
• Costumes must be of original construction, or show significant modification of pre-existing materials.
• Maximum time on stage: 1-2 people:1 minute 15 seconds. 3-6 people: 2 minutes 7 or more: 2 minutes 30 seconds.
• No liquids, messy substances, or anything that may pose a danger are allowed on stage. Unsheathing of bladed weapons must be cleared with the coordinator. No throwing of things into the audience. Nothing is allowed that would get a movie “R” rating–including level of clothing, removing clothing, vocals, language, or behavior on stage. Violating these rules will disqualify you. Minors may not perform combat routines on stage.
• A young person entry is defined as an entry where the contestants are ages 8 – 14 years old.
• Contestants must show up in the backstage area no later than 6:00, and allow video recording and photography of their costumes for non-profit purposes.
• The Coordinator can reject an entry on the basis of inappropriateness, unsafe behavior, too many purchased items, because the construction materials or techniques used do not meet the criteria of the show, or because the event has reached its limit for entries.
• For safety reasons, entries under the age of 8 are not allowed. A young person entry must have a parent or guardian present with them backstage and will be asked to sign a permission form.
• All dialogue and/or sound effects and music must be pre-recorded onto a CD. There will be no microphones on stage and no speaking allowed from stage. Test your recording on regular Cd players before you bring it, please. Coordinator will provide music if your entry has none. If you intend for the Coordinator to provide music for your act, please give them ample time before the show.
All of our Cosplay Competition staff members are volunteers, and we donate our time to the show because we love costuming just as much as you do!